My Method Is Bigger, Badder And Better Than Yours

by Houston Vetter - DocResults on January 20,

bigger, badder and better than yoursHave had an interesting week this week. Listened as someone told a bunch of healers, transformationalist and those interested in energy medicine, “My method (modality, system) is bigger, badder and better than yours.” At least that is the way it seemed to me. And I thought, what a perfect display of BS, i.e. a belief system not realizing it is only a belief system and thinking it is actuality… Actually what is.

The discussion reminded me of the two little boys arguing about who’s Dad was better. The first little boy said, “You know the Empire State building, my Dad built it.” The second said, “Oh yeah, you know the Dead Sea, my Dad killed it.”

The mind sciences have known for over 60 years that what we think is real is actually our map or model of what is actual. As many have reminded us, “The map is not the territory and for maps to be anywhere near accurate they must be constantly updated.” Belief Systems ARE MAPS.

The challenge comes in when we confuse the map as the territory. It is about as satisfying as confusing the menu for the meal. It is not very fulfilling. For a belief system to be useful it requires constant updating, and even then it is valuable to remember it is still only BS-Belief System. which is something we MAKE UP and pretend we didn’t.

My Method Is Bigger, Badder And Better Than Yours

I’m sure you can totally understand where someone is coming from when they think what they know is “IT” and they want everyone to know it too as it has made such a difference in their lives. And in their zeal to share what they have discovered works for them, and they know will work for you as well, they easily move into a set position of defending a particular position.

This particular energy is often seen when someone has had a spiritual awakening. And it is more prominent in structured situations such as a religious one. The term usually used when this happens is fanatic. When one gets set in a position, the way energy works, more and more proof shows up to back up the position. As My Grampa Vetter would say,

“What the Thinker thinks… the Prover proves!”

And because of one’s map (BS-Belief System), the proof that shows up only confirms the map. It does not update the map as it does not give more than one meaning to what happens and excludes any other possible meaning. Being fanatical is not good or bad it simply depends on where it is focused. When it is focused on oneself it is great for learning. Fanaticism focused on oneself can lead to genius level benefits for the individual.

When one’s fanaticism is focused on others it goes in the opposite direction. It usually does the opposite of the individuals original intent of sharing something that might be helpful and useful for another. Being fanatical also limits the amount of new information one is able to take in, which leads to less than useful emotional responses to others. What causes that is where your BS-Belief System overlays ‘what actually is’ creating your personal reality that is project out as actually real. And where ‘what actually is’ differs from your BS-Belief System emotions are the results.

When one gets set that my way is bigger, badder and better than yours a polarity is set up that makes it a challenge to hear another point of view that seems to disagree with your particular method or modality. This is not a good thing or a bad thing is simply is what is and it really is perfect as it is what is.

What would happen if you took those time in your life where this happens and accept it as light and information (i.e. energy) that you don’t have to have a reaction to, i.e. no emotional charge and watch how quickly it can shift for you where you feel better and things start to work out easily, effortless and with less work on your part.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

George Thomas January 20, 2013 at 9:02 pm

In my opinion – Fanaticism is not useful. Also – we are self-justifyiong critters. Each of us will draw to ourselves “proof” we are “right” as a consequence of the Law of Magnetic Attraction. We bring into our circumstances the evidence of our position (BS) being right and true. The good news is: IF we choose to, we CAN change our own minds. :o)

Houston Vetter - DocResults January 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm

George,
Thanks for your comments and I do understand where you are coming from and in the view of unconditional love anything is useful and the question I often ask is, “How can I use this?”
To Your Best,
Houston
Dr. Vetter – DocResults

Hans January 20, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Go Doc. Interstng coments there and to a certain degree tha are right. However, as far as healing is concerned, in particular energy healing there are so many different mdalities in opeaion today bcaus; everbody thinks (belief) that theirs is the only and te best. once 100% universal energy is channelled, there can be no furthe improvment on the energy used. you migh want to akealook at my Ebook, NLP and Energy Healing on http://www.amazon.com/author/hansliszikam

Hans January 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Sorry about the mistakes Doc. I am having keyboard problems. It does not respond the way it should.

Houston Vetter - DocResults January 20, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Hans,
Even with the mistakes your message is understandable. Channeling energy is certainly one way to go. And the link does work to your authors page on Amazon.
To Your Best,
Houston
Dr. Vetter – DocResults

Jason January 20, 2013 at 10:56 pm

As a coach and multi-modality therapist, who is passionate and actually quite evangelical about one of my modalities in particular, I have to say that I still find this sort of attitude to be quite disappointing. Like I said, I’m passionate and evangelical, but I don’t think or believe that my “one true love modality” is the be all and end all, and I know it’s certainly not right for everyone. The “one-size-fits-all” mentality seems to me, to be a sign of a weak ego, rather than a strong “system”, which is why I almost always advocate a multi-modality approach, so that one modality can fit in and compliment the “weaknesses” of other modalities.

Houston Vetter - DocResults January 20, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Jason,
What would happen if instead of finding something (attitude, situation, etc) quite disappointing you were able to be with it without a charge and accept it as life life-ing or love displaying? You might be delightfully surprised at how much more effective your passionate evangelical stance will become.
To Your Best,
Houston
Dr. Vetter – DocResults

Deb Brown February 2, 2013 at 10:23 am

Dr. V., I also made a judgement when I first read your thoughts on the BS-belief system: In your 2nd to last paragraph I was thinking, it is a bad thing to bring competition to the foreground in a spiritual discussion. Then I began to understand what you are saying: Don’t attach to one thought or the other and let both flow through me for a better result. I’ll keep thinking about it until it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the shift. Deb B.

Houston Vetter - DocResults February 2, 2013 at 10:39 am

Deb,

Thank you for the thoughts. My encouragement is to flow it through as quickly and as many time as is needed as the faster it moves through your system (i.e. body) the more energy it gives you.

As soon as you realize there is a thought you are judging (resistant to) notice where you feel that in your body and in your mind command that energy to soften and notice where it flows.

As you continue to make sure the energy softens the flow speeds up and you can watch it flow right out of your body and your energy system.

Think the original thought again, notice where it is in the body and the direction it is flowing and soften it and repeat the process.

Keep repeating the exercise until when you think the thought the energy zips through the system. Strengthening and elevating your energy.

To Your Best,
Houston
Dr. Vetter – DocResults

Elizabeth Dickinson February 6, 2013 at 9:01 am

While I try not to hang around types who claim to have the “one size fits all” system, it’s possible (in the short term) that the “bigger-badder-system” guy is reinforcing his own belief system and potentially attracting others for whom his system will work (even if it turns away people like me…)

Best,
Elizabeth

Houston Vetter - DocResults February 6, 2013 at 10:52 am

Elizabeth,

It is always valuable to follow your own intuition.

To Your Best,